link to Home Page

Re: ZetaBabble [tm]

In Article <avn71n$31t$2@oasis.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti wrote:
> In sci.astro ABC <none@nospam.com> wrote on Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:50:36 -0500:
>> It's interesting to note that (AFAIK) the Zetatalk website
>> never said that we would be able to see it with the naked eye,
>> except about 7 weeks before its arrival, so at least there is
>> consistency and they have not changed their story on that,
>> although why would they? to extend the time frame out
>> would not help their case, right? but certainly, why is
>> everyone clamoring about it right now? years ago
>> zetatalk said it would become visible to the naked eye
>> about 7 weeks out? should an object this size and
>> makeup become visible sooner than that? if so, how
>> much sooner?
>
> You mean other than claiming it should be 2nd magnitude
> more than 5 years ago?

To quote from the ZetaTalk web site:

    Note: The Comet Visible ZetaTalk piece was written in 1995,
    and should be read in that context. This inbound planet was
    visible to the IRAS team, using full spectrum search (including
    infra-red) in 1983 as a Magnitude 2 object. Due to the amount
    of time it spends essentially between its two foci, a search
    without infra-red capability should assume a Magnetide 10
    object and require the use of an observatory grade scope
    until the mid-point of 2002. In early 2001, it was sighted at
    three observatories as a Magnitude 11 object. Magnitude 10
    should also be used as equipment is usually calibrated for the
    pinpoint of light that stars emit, not the dull glow of a brown
    dwarf. See the Rogue Planet TEAM page for these sightings
    that started, using an observatory grade scope, in early 2001.
    When the Zetas state it is visible with the naked eye, they
    are referring to being visible by the eye, as aided by telescope
    or magnifying equipment. The planet will not be visible,
    unaided by equipment, until 7 weeks before the passage.
        Preface to ZetaTalk™: Comet Visible
            (http://www.zetatalk.com/poleshft/p29.htm)

Full spectrum, including infrared, Mag 2 in 1983, thus the IRAS team
found it, but not UNTIL they used infrared.