link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: Dec 4 Images

Michael L Cunningham wrote in message <3DF2F159.4070907@earthlink.net>
> Steve Havas wrote:
> > Exciting new images everyone! I took 11 x 4 min exposures on Dec 4 and these are now available on
> > the ZT site.
> >
> > http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/rogue/nancy3.htm
> >
> > The "red" and "white" personas have been identified and Zeta confirmed.
> >
> > http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/rogue/zeta4.htm
> >
> > Size increase for the "red" persona is DRAMATIC and shows up extremely well on all frames. The
> > "white" persona is almost exactly at the Dec 6 coordinate location.
> >
> > http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/rogue/shavas16.htm
> > http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/rogue/nancy4.htm
> >
> > Tholen, is this another new variable star? Maybe the one from Nov 15-16 moved to this new location
> > and swelled greatly in size!
>
> Nice try Steve but no cookie. It's in all your images because you
> actually captured a field star! It's even visible on the DSS image you
> supplied! IT's also on the USNO-A2 catalog as a star with a red
> magnitude of 13.8, Blue magnitude of 15.1, and visual magnitude of 14.3.
>
> Your image also shows a soft focus (that's why it's bloated) and is full
> of pixel defects but once it's cleaned up with the proper processing,
> your candiate is just a field star.
>
> Don't feel bad... at least you're taking images of smoething other than
> defects!!!
>
> Michael

I think you mean:
USNO Star Mag:  15.1 (Blue)  13.8 (Red)
Field: 476
Magnitude: 14.29
RA: 04h 22m 49.85s  Dec: +12°07'44.16"
RA: 04h 22m 40.05s  Dec: +12°07'19.92"  (Epoch 2000)

but this is the bright (relatively) star just above and to the right
of the frame 3 defect chosen by Lieder as the "white" persona.  Havas
is excited by his "red" persona which seems to be a star and which is
not apparent in my 11 disk copy of the USNO-a2.0