link to Home Page

Re: Where's Planet X in the New Images?

> I M Openmind wrote:
>> Michael L Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> I've had just the barest few seconds to look at the images Jan. The fact
>> that Nancy and Zetatalk keying on just ONE image speaks volumes as you
>> now know with your minimal experience at stacking images. You also know
>> that your camera is sensitive to the IR as are the rest of us here with
>> CCD's so it would have to be very dim to even show at 15% of the
>> background noise.
>>
>> I will try to do further comparisons this weekend as my schedule allows.
>> I'll also search the catalogs for background stars in those locations.
>> Have you attempted to establish a rough magnitude yet?
>> --
>> Michael L. Cunningham

> When you do, take a look at my pages
> and click on "A Look at Steve's Sept. 21, 2002 Images".  I processed
> the complete set of R images using MaxIm_DL (master dark from 120
> second darks, dark subtract the R images, median combine) and I do not
> find any of the bunches of pixel noise pointed to by Charles, Jan, and
> Steve.  I provide my processed .fit file for examination.

I have now downloaded the free demo version of Maxim DL and tried the
stacking process . Unfortunately, the demo version does not allow saving
files, so I cannot post the result anywhere. The software cannot be
purchased online either (at least not from the manufacturer). The demo can
be downloaded.

Maxim DL has 3 modes for stacking pictures, Sum, Average & Median. With Sum
& Average, I can easily get all objects shown on the ZetaTalk pages by
changing the minimum & maximum values in the Screen Stretch window. With
Median, they disappear. Now doesn't that make you wonder why IMO only posted
the Median result?

Please note that using the stacking process on images not calibrated with
the dark images will get a lot of noise on the stacked image, as neither
AIP4Win nor Maxim DL seems to be able to remove this satisfactory during the
stacking process. For anyone wanting to use the demo version of Maxim DL for
trying out this themselves, I guess we can make the individual images with
darks subtracted available on the web or mail them directly.

Regards,
Jan