link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: IMO Right, Nancy Wrong, about When to Look (Long)

In Article <GRNO8.4055$xy.1150537@twister.socal.rr.com> David Tholen wrote:

> >> As I said previously, that depends on how bright the object is.  I'm
> >> still waiting for you or Nancy to tell me how bright it is supposed to
> >> be.
>
> Note:  no response.
>
> >> Irrelevant, as the period of visibility is independent of whether DST is
> >> used or not.
>
> > Relevant because people could mistankely think they should be able to see
> > that area with a certain degree of darkness at a certain time when they can
> > not.
>
> The duration of the window of visibility is quite independent of whether
> DST is in use or not, thus DST is quite irrelevant, as I previously stated.

Obviously the sky is not affected by any human imposed DST but what is
affected is peoples perceptions of when the window of visibility exists.
Therefore DST is relevant if you want to find out when you can actually view
that area and not have your times wrong.

> > It is relevant in Cape Town and it is relevant in Madison because IMO's
> > calculations were wrong in both cases and therefore misleading.
>
> DST isn't going to change the window of visibility by an hour.  Did you
> ever hear the one about the woman who objected to DST because the extra
> hour of sunlight was making her flowers wilt?

Yeah, I heard that somewhere but I'm not concerned about any flowers wilting.