link to Home Page

Re: OK Nancy, Where Is It?

Bill Nelson wrote:

> Nancy Lieder <zetatalk@zetatalk.com> wrote:
>
>>     In (Daly's) opinion the cause lies in the sinking of the level
>>     of all seas on the globe. Alternatively, Daly thinks it
>>     could have resulted from a deepening of the oceans or from
>>     an increase in their areas. Of special interest is the
>>     time of the change. Daly estimated the sudden drop of
>>     oceanic level to (have occurred) some 3,000 to 4,000 years
>>     ago.
>
> Daly has to be wrong. If it had happened that recently, the Egyptians
> would have recorded it.

That's just pure bull.  There are too many cases in recorded history to
recount where sudden change either destroyed records or made their
maintenance difficult.  The collapse of civilization is precisely when
records stop *because* the civilization is collapsing.  The Aztec
civilization was virtually destroyed by the invading Spanish, but
literally no Aztec records remain of such a cataclysmic event.  Does
this mean it did not happen?  Suppose the Spanish had not been so
careful to document their own destruction?  Would not our current
scientists shake their head in wonder at "what happened to the Aztec -
they just *dissapeared*?"
The Small Kahuna