link to Home Page

Re: OK Nancy, Where Is It?

In Article <3C38A792.4040204@telocity.com> Open Minded wrote:
> Greg Neill wrote:
>> Can you estimate the angular diameter of her red circle
>> on your image?
>
> Good point ... it appears to be about 1/2 arcminutes
> across or 30 arcseconds.  One arcsecond is
> 1/206265 radians so the red circle is about 30/206265
> radians or about 1/6875 radians.  Since her table of
> distances shows the planet to be about 30 billion miles
> away right now, the red circle, at that distance is 30
> billion/6875 or about 4.3 million miles across ... a
> bit bigger than Pluto I'd say!

With the swirling tail, and the bending IN or light rays that had bent
OUT prior to bending in before reaching your view finder, yes - larger.

In Article  <7CD08.16023$fX1.594797@wagner.videotron.net> Greg Neill wrote:
> In Article <a1ugi2$scj$1@news1.xs4all.nl> Josh wrote:
>> If you blink the image (in a windo-manager or something
>> at reverse color), you can see the old film shows more
>> objects, for instance in the lower left corner, additionally,
>> all objects are brighter on the old image. It would have
>> been great if you made an equally deep image so we had
>> something standard to compare it to.
>
> If P-X showed up on the new image but not on the old,
> then it would be a new object. [But] the new image clearly
> shows objects far fainter than Nancy's claimed 11th
> magnitude for P-X, since such objects show up on both
> images.

What the eye sees, and what is captured in an image, DIFFER.  PX did
show up on the new image, and not the old.  The faint star pointed to by
Open Minded, which appears in the older Palomar image, ALSO shows up in
the new image, predictably fainter as only 20 minutes was allowed.
There are TWO objects at that location in the new image
1. the faint star which the Palomar shows, fainter on the 20 minute CCD
2. another NEW object, larger, just below the faint star, which appears
   ONLY in the new 20 minute CCD

Why would a faint star be brighter/stronger, on the 20 minute CCD than
the Palomar when all other faint objects are dimmer?