link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: Atomic Clock Manipulation!

In Article <3BB3F15B.AF4BCA2C@Jhuapl.edu> James Hunter wrote:
> tholen@AntiSpam.ham wrote:
>> Nancy Lieder writes:
>
>>> As atomic clocks can be updated at will by the Navy,
>>> worldwide, no one except the Navy is aware of any
>>> manipulation there.
>
>> Balderdash; the Navy has no control over atomic clocks
>> in other countries.
>
> The Navy doesn't have control over any atomic clocks.
> Their primary concern is still Greenwich Mean Time,
> as it has been for the last 3 or 4 hundred years.

The Navy is the clockmaster for the world, and this includes atomic
clocks. They can insert leap seconds or fractions thereof whenever they
want.  Please note below, “IN 1904, THE U.S. NAVY STATION BROADCAST THE
FIRST WORLDWIDE RADIO TIME SIGNALS BASED ON A CLOCK PROVIDED AND
CONTROLLED BY THE OBSERVATORY.” And they’ve been doing it ever since.

    The Rapid Service/Prediction Center of the
    International Earth Rotation Service (IERS),
    located at the U.S. Naval Observatory, monitors the
    Earth's rotation. Part of its mission involves the
    determination of a time scale based on the current
    rate of the rotation of the Earth. UT1 is the
    non-uniform time based on the Earth's rotation.
    ... instead of resetting the clock that is running slow,
    we choose to adjust the clock that is keeping a
    uniform, precise time. The reason for this is that we
    can change the time of an atomic clock while it is not
    possible to alter the Earth's rotational speed to match
    the atomic clocks. ... The present Master Clock of
    the USNO is based on a system of some 60
    independently operating cesium atomic clocks ... On
    the basis of this computed time scale, a clock
    reference system is steered to produce clock signals
    which serve as the USNO Master Clock. The clock
    reference system is driven by a hydrogen maser
    atomic clock. ... In 1904, a U.S. Navy station
        http://maia.usno.navy.mil/eo/leapsec.html