link to Home Page

Re: If the Earth's Rotation is Slowing, etc. - We've Got Problems!

In Article <PFhc7.38005$jc3.1903458@weber.videotron.net> Greg Neill wrote:
>> I've heard this theory that Earth's fatter waist (man-made
>> lakes or whatever) makes it turn more slowly, but at other
>> times it returns to a faster rotation (!?!).  Where is Newton
>> in all of this, as WHY would it return to a faster rotation
>> after having slowed.
>
> Angular momentum.  Ask a figure skater.

The Earth studied Newton in school and wants to abide by his formulas,
which state, presumably, that a smaller object can rotate faster than a
fat object?  Newton was describing what he saw, a DESCRIPTION, not an
explanation.  Our Moon rotates very very slowly, dark side forever away
from Earth.  So if you put water on the Moon, gave it drag, it would
start to rotate more slowly and eventually we'd see the dark side?
Newton did NOT give cause and effect, dealing only with the static
"angular momentum" and the effect this had on the static situation.  A
factor.  A factor in hand.  So remove the water from the surface of the
Earth, so it can, presumably, spin faster, per you.  WHY would it start
spinning faster?  Momentum is the static situation.  Some body out in
space, trucking along, decides it should truck faster?  For no reason?

In Article <9ksc9u$5kt$1@news1.xs4all.nl> Josh wrote:
>> Angular momentum.  Ask a figure skater.
>
> BTW, your answer actually corroberates Nancy's claim that
> Newton can't explain anything, because "angular
> momentum" means the rotation stays the same, at least
> it doesn't involve /speeding up/ AFAIK.

The Zetas also have an explanation for spin, which is different than
rotation in a planet with a liquid core.

    Spin is a phenomenon that occurs regularly in nature and
    is frequently observed on Earth, from the large swirls that
    hurricanes form to the small tornadoes in the middle of
    water going down the drain. The fact that such a spin moves
    in different directions when it is above or below the equator
    gives evidence that spin is affected by factors outside of itself.
    The phenomenon of spin is observable when the object in
    motion is not constrained. Air and water are fluid, but
    spinning tops or figure skaters on ice also demonstrate the
    phenomena. The theoretical speed of a spin is fastest toward
    the center of the spinning object, a factor easily noted by
    comparing hurricane wind speeds with those at the center
    of tornadoes. But why the difference?

    Spin on the surface of the Earth reflects what is occurring in
    the core of the Earth. If the Earth were not rotating, its core
    moving to escape or pull toward other matter in the Solar
    System and beyond, then spin would be affected only by the
    various attractions or repulsion the spinning object itself
    has to its immediate neighborhood. All objects on the face of
    the Earth have these same influences from the core of the
    Earth, but this is not evident due to lack of fluidity or lack of
    motion. Spin in an object develops slowly, and is only evident
    to man when accumulated. Thus, water in a water fall has spin,
    but the water at the bottom of the fall cannot affect the water
    at the top, so the spin is not compounded. Water in a drain
    compounds the spin at the top by affecting the path of least
    resistance for the water at the top of the drain, and thus the
    little tornadoes in draining water.

    Spin occurs faster when the spinning object is narrow as
    there are fewer factors to counter the spin. A large air mass
    such as is moving during a hurricane is spread out over a
    larger area of the core of the Earth, and thus the impetus to
    move with the core is countered by the fact that one of the
    outer edges, the one on the pole side, is lined up over core
    parts that are moving slower than the other outer edge, the
    one on the equator side. Thus small tops can spin faster for
    the given impetus than large tops, and figure skaters find
    they can spin faster by reducing their overall size by drawing
    their arms in and hugging themselves.
       ZetaTalk™, Spin
            (http://www.zetatalk.com/science/s86.htm)