link to Home Page

Re: ZetaTalk and Spaceguard UK (D8)

David Tholen wrote:
>> Greg and Bill are saying that their math, Newton,
>> explains why something that is a million trillion metric
>> tons can orbit the Earth at only 1023 m/s or so.
>
> What does the mass have to do with it?  You could put a
> penny at the same distance and it would orbit the Earth with
> essentially the same speed.

David Tholen, meet Greg Neill and Bill Nelson.  Are we on the same page
here, guys?  Yes or no, are the implications of Newton's math as I've
described them?  If the mass of the primary is the ONLY thing an
orbiting object needs to be concerned with, in how close it can come and
how fast it orbits about the primary (these being the only factors in
the law), then what seems to be the problem?  The elephant and the
mosquito could zoon around the Earth, at near surface level, side by
side, same speed, no problem whatsoever.   So says Newton.