link to Home Page

Re: ZetaTalk and Spaceguard UK

QUESTION: How to compute the MASS of the Earth and Moon, using something
REAL like granite (not an abstract number computed to make Newton's
formula work)?

 1. Eric George refers to the "mass" of the Moon as something
    we have computed or can be computed from it's density.

    In article <6ko22i$1ca@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net> Eric George writes:
    > The Mass of the moon is approx. 7.3508e+22 kg regardless
    > of how close or far from the earth it is.

 2. Mass, per Paul Campbell, was something abstract one popped
    into the equation, and it is whatever it must be to abide by
    Newton's Laws.  The Moon MUST have a mass of x in order
    to fit with the acceleration, as Newton is God.

    In article <MPG.fc0bb991535b89d9896fa@news.connect.ab.ca>
    Paul Campbell writes:
    >> You're saying that your equations balance, but then only
    >> balance because you've CALCULATED the weight of the
    >> Moon using the orbital mechanics formula, right?  So if
    >> you would enter any other weight for the Moon into those
    >> equations, then the Moon either plummets or ejects into
    >> space?
    >       Nancy wrote
    >
    > If you change the mass of the moon then the Moon's orbit as
    > presently observed would not happen. Therefore the moon's
    > mass must be what it is regardless of it's composition.

 3. Eric George stated was that the density, also spoken of as "mass",
    of the Earth is in fact HEAVIER and more massive than my
    approach which was to use to assume a body composed of
    solid granite.  Well, that would make the situation worse,
    making the force of gravity between the Earth and Moon
    greater, I would think.

    In article <6ko22i$1ca@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net> Eric George writes:
    > The density of the outer crust and mantle is pretty well known
    > from seismic geology. ... Now we'll use Nancy's highest density;
    > 2.76 g/cm^3 Multiplying this by the total volume of the earth we
    > get the Mass According to Nancy: 2.9997E+27 g.  A conservative
    > estimate of the mass of only the earth's crust and mantle gives a
    > value 35% greater then Nancy's total density.  ...

 4. Paul Campbell state that mass can be "computed".  What are the
    factors G and M here?