link to Home Page

More-Mars-Mission-Mess/Re: Nancy Lieder Exposed!

Hi,

<quote Scientific American this month, article "north to MARS!" page 50>
<...>

Look Out Below!
THE PLAN WAS TO DELIVER the large fiberglass components
to Devon Island by parachuting them from U.S. Marine
Corps C-130 transport planes. On July 5 the first five airdrops,
which contained th ewalls, legs and some of the dome sections
of the habitat, delivered hte payloads safely to the groind,
although gusty winds caused most of them to fall several hundred
meters from the construction site. The sixth drop, on
July 8, carrying the remaining dome sections and other
equipment, also went well. The final drop that day, however, was a
disaster. The payload separated from the parachute at an
altitude of 300 meters and plunged to th eground. The habitat's
fiberglass floors were completely destroyed, along with the
trailer needed to move the 360-kilogram wall panels and the
crane needed to lift them.
  With the loss of the trailer, the floors and the crane, the
construction crew that the Mars Society had hired to
assemble the station declared the task impossible and fled the island.
At this point, the project seemed doomed. Indeed, one
journalist asked me if I saw a parallel between the failure of the
airdrop and that of the Mars Polar Lander, the unmanned
spacecraft that apparently crashed on the Martian surface in
December 1999. I replied: "There's a parallel in that we both hit
a rock. But the difference is that we have a human crew here,
and we are going to find a way out of this".
</quote>

                          ZetaTalk: Mars Exploration

   Where the race to space in the 60's was originally spurred in part by
   the knowledge that the Earth was to experience another passage of the
   12th Planet in its near future, this factor is almost solely
   responsible for the Mars exploration fever of the late 90's.

   Back then NASA felt they had time to learn how to establish space
   stations far from the cataclysms the Earth was to undergo, and was
   smugly confident that the US taxpayers would be forced to pay for the
   personal escape route the elite at NASA and in the establishment fully
   intended to use when the time came. After the Apollo 13 disaster,
   retrenching occurred and the Earth itself was looked upon as the best
   refuge. However, it has recently been determined that the escape
   routes planned for the elite on Earth are not as safe as expected.
   Manmade excavations at installations such as Mount Weather are at
   great risk of collapsing and entombing the smug elite who rush there,
   slamming the door to safety in the face of the taxpayers who paid for
   these retreats. Thus, a temporary safe haven on the surface of Mars
   now again looks like the best bet.

   In that mankind has been quarantined from encounters with the giant
   hominoids from the 12th Planet, as we have explained, so that the
   enslavement of mankind that used to occur in the past would not be
   re-instituted, such manned flights to Mars will not Be allowed to
   succeed. The series of mishaps that occurred in 1996 and accompanied
   the rush to place man on Mars are not accidents, as those at NASA are
   aware.
     * There was no reason for the failure of a solar panel on a probe to
       extend - a message that energy resources will fail and freeze
       hapless and stranded astronauts should such forays continue.

     * There was no reason for a Russian probe to lose momentum and
       tumble into the ocean south of Australia - a message that forays
       can simply be turned back at the start, should the anxious elite
       choose to send repeated well stocked manned flights aloft.

     * There was also no reason for a jammed shuttle door, which
       threatened to lock US astronauts outside the shuttle as well as in
       should they force the door open - a message that even simple
       mechanical tools were not beyond the reach of the Council of
       Worlds, who imposed the quarantine and will not be toyed with in
       this matter.
   <snip for shortness>
      All rights reserved: ZetaTalk@ZetaTalk.com

**

<further quote Scientific American this month, article "north to MARS!" page 50>

   On July 28 we held a ceremony to mark the completion of
the habitat. Because the construction delays, we had time for
only a four-day mission simulation. Commanded by Carol
Stoker of the NASA Ames Research Center, the six crew mem-
bers lived and worked in the habitat, supporting a series of
exploration traverses and the field-testing of a Mars spacesuit
prototype. The team maintained radio contact with a simulated
mission control based in Denver; 20-minute delays were
inserted between the transmissions to duplicate the time lags that
would ordinarily occur in radio communications between
Earth and Mars.
   On August 4 the habitat was sealed for the winter. The
Mars Society is now preparing for the summer of 2001, when
the station will support eight weeks of research under strict
mission-simulation protocols. Everyone who leaves the habitat will
have to wear a simulated spacesuit and spend 20 minutes in the
airlock exiting and returning. Under these and similar
constraints, we will attempt to conduct a sustained program of
geology and microbiology field exploration. We are certain to run
into operational problems - but those problems are exactly
what we are trying to uncover.
</quote>

They sure mean bisnis, don't they.
/Ofcourse/ we don't need to practice on the moon! ;-).
Interesting failure also, parachute just "gets loose at 300 meter",
just the one with the crane too.

regards, just pointing out some of the dataflow for today,
Jos