link to Home Page

Re: Planet X on CNN

<tholen@AntiSpam.ham> wrote in message news:M86R6.8179$WI.2371948@typhoon.hawaii.rr.com...

> >> The first Sunday in April was April 1.  Thus DST should have been in
> >> effect.
>
> > That's correct, thanks for pointing that out.
>
> And in my best Regis voice, "Is that your final answer?"

Hmmm... should I use a life line?  ...the 1st sunday of april was april 1...
on which DST came into effect... april 7 was 6 days after that... I think I
will go with Pacific Daylight Time Big T. Final Answer. I sure hope I'm
right on this one as I wouldn't want to get knocked out in the $100 round!
Man, I haven't sweated like that in months! Keep up the comedy Tholen, I
think you may have found a calling ;) .

> >> DST should have been in effect.  And the size of the field of view of
> >> the telescope?
>
> > I have no idea what size the field of view would have been.
>
> You didn't look at anything else recognizable through it?
>
> > I believe I asked the operator if he could get the scope in as tightly as
> > possible on those coordinates if that helps at all.
>
> "Tightly" could have been interpreted as "accurately" rather than as
> "highest magnification".

Maybe so, maybe so...

> > I guess it would have been nice if I got a print out of the computer
> > screen with all the information on it
>
> It probably would not have listed the field of view.
>
> > but at the time it was all I could do to keep the operator focused on
> > moving the telescope.
>
> And can you describe what you saw in the field of view, and I'm not
> restricting my question to just Nancy's alleged object?

I wish I could describe better what I saw... There was at least one small
light point object in my view - possibly two - slightly low off center to
the left. I did not take notes or make any diagram so I cannot say with
absolute certainty. The dark, diffuse or 'fuzzy' object I saw was in the
upper right corner near the edge of view.  I noticed it only after making an
extra effort to see around the entire edge of my field of view. It was
definitely discernable to me although when looking right at it it was
somewhat elusive if that makes any sense.  I looked away from the eyepiece
and back several times to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. When I
asked the operator if the dark spot was something or just some optical
problem he said it was optical, whatever that means. However, he did not
come over to look through the scope.

Two weeks later I went back to the observatory to see if I could get another
look. The operator was very helpful this time and quickly moved the scope to
the coordinates. The time was about 9:15pm...PDT.  I did not see anything
resembling what I had seen the previous visit. Just one small light which we
moved the scopes field of view around. The operator said it would be very
difficult to see a diffuse magnitude 11 object as that area was going down
close behind the setting sun. I have a feeling the scope was not on the same
magnification as before but that is just a guess...

However, as I was about to leave I was able to have a quiet and rather
hushed conversation with the operator. Note: this is just my interpretation
of a meeting and is based on body language, gestures etc. as much as on what
was actually said. The other individual may have something completely
different to say about the whole thing, or not... Anways, he/they knew what
I was looking for (P-X) and were aware of it (and I mean in more than a
theoretical way). I told him I HAD seen it the previous week. I informed him
there had been two other reported sightings, one in Neuchatel and one in
Lowell. He did not deny that there could be such sightings nor did he seem
surprised. He said he had not seen it himself and when I told him I heard it
was coming in 2003 he suggested it could be later like perhaps 2012, 2028 or
something. He suggested there was another observatory that we could probably
get a better look at it with. He said winter would be a better time to view
it as that area was rapidly disappearing below the horizon. Anyways, this
continued for about 10 minutes or so all together after which we exchanged
emails, shook hands, and I left. I realize this is purely anecdotal so you
can take this however you like.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, it doesn't look like the Gordon Macmillan
Observatory will be opening back up anytime soon... My humble apologies to
all R.A.S.C. staff if I have caused any problems.

Steve