link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: MAY Coordinates

In Article <KR%H6.729$n81.437398@typhoon.hawaii.rr.com> David Tholen
wrote:
> are those positions mean of date, apparent, J2000, B1950,
> or something else? Are the positions geocentric or
> topocentric to some particular location?
> Are the times Coordinated Universal Time,
> Terrestrial Time, Barycentric Dynamical Time,
> or for some particular time zone? Should one
> assume "May 23" means May 23.00000?
> And you do realize that the positions do not fit any
> orbit, do you?

If folks can, on a clear night and given they are in a part of the word
where the coordinates are visible, SEE Planet X at their local
observatory, then does it matter?  Please note that they had to adjust
slightly to the coordinates.  From the SIGHTED posting, now at
http://www.zetatalk.com/usenet/use00686.htm, I quote:

   ON APR 1, 2001: Lowel
      So I tried focusing on the periphery of the viewable area
      while directing my attention to the middle. Lo and behold,
      there appeared a faint blip not too far off center. ....
      The operator described the object as diffuse and of
      approximate magnitude 11.  The coordinates
      (in degree/minute/second format), with a margin of error
      according to the operator of +/- 20 seconds (about .006
      degrees) RA and +/- 10 seconds (about .003 degrees) Dec

   ON APR 8, 2001: Gordon Macmillan
      Near the center I see nothing that I think looks like the
      [Planet X] (just a couple stars) but at the very top right
      corner if I moved my head I could see what
      appeared to be a darkish, diffuse, round spot, fairly large.