link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6jhgvc$mss@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 15 May 1998 13:46:20 GMT

In article <35586D1A.4E6507B3@alcyone.com> Erik Max Francis writes:
>> But NO binary stars are 10 AU apart.  You are mistaken.
>
> Beta Lyr springs to mind immediately.  Burnham's puts their
> center-to-center distance as "22 million miles," which is only
> 0.24 au.

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
And how did your astronomers conclude, while looking at this bright
rotating mass, that they were looking at TWO, rather than ONE suns?
Flip a coin?  Go for a closer look?  Why do you suppose the core of
your Earth rotates?  It has been shown in one of your recent studies to
be rotating somewhat faster than the crust.  The core is not spinning
fasters because it is being dragged along by the crust, it is DRAGGING
the crust.  Your Sun also rotates, a fact we trust you will not dispute
as ejecting plumes and sun spots show this activity.  The core of
liquid or gaseous suns or planets is NOT homogenous, it has denser
masses and lighter masses, and this lies as the base of why rotation
occurs in the first place.  We will ask our emissary, Nancy, to post
our prior words on rotation, to expand on the point we are making here.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

ZetaTalk: Rotation

Rotation of a planet is dependent on many factors, only one of which is
the initial motion attained coming out of a big bang.  Take the
instance of your Earth, during the passage of her brother, the 12th
Planet.  Rotation slows and then stops, for days, and then after
passage resumes to the same pace as before.  This is because of the
other factors involved in rotation, which remain in place in your Solar
System and have their grip on the Earth.

Rotation is due to a mobility difference between the core of a planet
and the surface, and for lack of a better analogy we relate this to a
dog chasing its tail.  The core of the Earth is liquid, and mobile, and
has a mind of its own.  As the Earth moves in its orbit around the Sun,
the relationship of the core of the Earth to surrounding influences
changes.  A child standing on a merry-go-round and wishing to face his
mother must himself turn a complete circle in order to do this.  In
like manner, the heavy core of the Earth moves to face or escape
magnetically related forces in the Universe about your Solar System,
dragging the surface with it.  The core is not homogeneous everywhere
and thus parts of it are strongly attracted or repulsed to this part or
that of the Universe about it, so motion in the core is constant.  No
sooner does a part of the core move to the far side of its liquid tomb,
then it finds itself presented with its old problem again, and sets
into motion once again.

Now as the Earth takes 365 days to orbit the Sun, and rotation happens
once a day, it would seem at first glance that the merry-go-round
analogy is incorrect.  How could rotation started because of the
Earth's orbit, a yearly affair, turn into a daily rotation?  Motion is
not a controlled matter, as anyone riding a bike without brakes is
painfully aware.  In the liquid core of the Earth, there is little to
stop motion, once started, save the desire of parts of the core to
approach or escape magnetic influences in the Universe.  Rotation
starts because of these external influences, and thus is always in the
same direction.  The rate of rotation is due to the liquidity of the
core, as the brakes are never applied.  Thus, the parts of the core
that are moving away from an influence soon find that they have created
their problem again, as the motion of the Earth has placed these parts
back where they did not want to be!  Round and round, like a dog
chasing its tail.