link to Home Page

Re: Zacharia Sitchin

Article: <6haf67$hoj@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Zacharia Sitchin
Date: 18 Apr 1998 15:00:23 GMT

In article <1998041805104900.BAA17538@ladder03.news.aol.com> Randomity
writes:
> Could someone please present me with a cogent argument either
> in support of or against the concept of a 12th planet with a 3,600
> year elliptical orbit.

The best argument is in the geological evidence that our Earth
presents, in 3,600 periods, approximately.  Velikovsky has collected
and presented many of these in his book Earth in Upheaval.  Where many
attack the messenger, throwing all Velikovsky's insights out when fault
can be found with anything he said, these scientific studies he quotes
were NOT done by him, and stand on their own merits.  For instance:

Earth in Upheaval, pp 181-183, Dropped Ocean Level

R.A. Daly observed that in a great many places all around the world
there is a uniform emergence of the shore line of 18 to 20 feet.  In
the southwest Pacific, on the islands belonging to the Samoan group but
spread over two hundred miles, the same emergence is evident.  Nearly
halfway around the world, at St. Helena in the South Atlantic, the lava
is punctuated by dry sea caves, the floors of which are covered with
water-worn pebbles, now dusty because untouched by the surf.  The
emergence there is also 20 feet.  At the Cape of Good Hope caves and
beaches also prove recent and sensibly uniform emergence to the extent
of about 20 feet.

Marine terraces, indicating similar emergence, are found along the
Atlantic coast from New York to the Gulf of Mexico;  for at least 1,000
miles along the coast of eastern Australia;  along the coasts of
Brazil, southwest Africa, and many islands in the Pacific, Atlantic,
and Indian Oceans.  The emergence is recent as well as of the same
order of magnitude, (20 feet).  Judging from the condition of beaches,
terraces, and caves, the emergence seems to have been simultaneous on
every shore.

In (Daly's) opinion the cause lies in the sinking of the level of all
seas on the globe.  Alternatively, Daly thinks it could have resulted
from a deepening of the oceans or from an increase in their areas.  Of
special interest is the time of the change.  Daly estimated the sudden
drop of oceanic level to (have occurred) some 3,000 to 4,000 years ago.

[1] Darwin, Geological Observations on the Volcanic Islands and Parts
of South America, Pt II, Chaps IX and XV.
[2] L. Don Leet, Causes of Catastrophes (1948), p. 186
[3] Daly, Our Mobile Earth, p. 177
[5] P.H. Kuenen, Marine Geology (1950), p. 538