link to Home Page

Re: TUNGUSKA

Article: <5grkoa$g9i@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: TUNGUSKA
Date: 20 Mar 1997 15:22:50 GMT

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> The slowing process is relative to density? Not so!
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Try dropping a baseball and a feather side by side in the
> atmosphere - the feather descends more slowly due to the
> atmosphere. In a vacuum, they fall at equal speeds, as
> demonstrated by Dave Scott on Apollo 15 when he dropped
> a feather and a hammer on the moon and they hit the lunar
> surface at the same time.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
That's what we SAID!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> The drag is relative to the SIZE of the object, the air
>> friction that develops. Drop several objects of the same
>> SIZE from an airplane, and unless one is shaped differently
>> from the other, to put it into a glide rather than a plummet,
>> they both will fall at an equivalent rate.
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Drop two balls of the same size - a lead ball and a ping-pong
> ball and see which hits first. In the Earth's atmosphere, the
> ping-pong ball slows to a much slower terminal velocity than
> the lead ball, due to the deceleration caused by the air.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
We said equivalent, no absolutely equal. They land at essentially the same time. From the standpoint of an observer, no difference.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> An object entering the atmosphere at a sharp angle soon
>> begins a direct plummet, depending upon its speed at entry
>> and the angle. Any large meteor is dropping straight down
>> before impact, and any large piece of space junk is doing
>> likewise.
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Meteors enter at whatever angle they encounter the Earth,
> plus some curvature due to Earth's gravity and will only fall
> vertically after almost all of their cosmic velocity is dissipated.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
That's what we SAID!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> how did the Yucatan crater hole happen? Did the Earth
>> not have an atmosphere in the past?
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> The object that caused the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatan
> was more than 10 kilometers in diameter. It barely noticed the
> atmosphere as it passed through before hitting the surface.
> Most objects smaller than about 100 meters do not reach the
> surface of the Earth and will end up exploding
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
The really big ones fail to vaporize and the tiny ones become shooting stars and there are NO in-between meteors that fail to vaporize? Then what are those rocks that your scientists are picking up to examine? What is this, an intermittent scientific principle that only occurs when you need a silly explanation to avoid dealing with the fact that the Earth experiences violent pole shifts when the 12th Planet passes? Cling to your Teddy Bear and ask it to save you, this is as illogical!
(End ZetaTalk[TM]

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> You in fact don't KNOW that a meteor entered the
>> atmosphere, much less its speed!
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> No "fantastic speed" about the meteor - the typical impact
> speed of any meteor in the Earth's atmosphere is between
> about 12 and 60 kilometers per second depending on the
> orbit!
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
And do they disintegrate? NEVER! Unless they are so tiny as to burn up completely due to friction with the air, they plonk onto the surface to be picked up by your scientists!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5gil52$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> To cap it all off, you have this mythical disintegration of a
>> HUGE meteor such that it falls apart into such tiny pieces
>> of dust that NONE can be located! This is dust, barely held
>> together, that managed to streak across the sky and travel
>> through space all those eons? Your argument is absurd!
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> The meteor is traveling at hypersonic speeds - just before the
> meteor is destroyed, the air in front of the meteor does not
> have time to move out from in front of the object. It creates
> supersonic shock front, but also imparts a huge force on the
> front of the meteor. The meteor cannot withstand the huge
> force and disintegrates.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
This silly explanation flies in the face of everything you know about objects entering your atmosphere from space, everything you know about the cushioning that occurs when an object enters a liquid such as water or an atmosphere, and everything you know about explosions. Give it up, Jim, you lost the debate!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])