link to Home Page

Re: The MANY FACES of Hale-Bopp - SIZE

Article: <5grkjq$9d9@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: The MANY FACES of Hale-Bopp - SIZE
Date: 20 Mar 1997 15:20:26 GMT

In article: <5gijin$rsi@news.Hawaii.Edu> David Tholen writes:
>> My, my, how things change. Are we looking at the same
>> comet? How has the SIZE of the many faces of Hale-Bopp
>> changed, from 1995 to the present?
>> saquo@ix.netcom.com
>
> The size hasn't changed by any significant amount. There
> is some mass loss associated with the outgassing, but that
> might shrink the size by something on the order of a meter,
> whereas the diameter of the comet is presumably somewhere
> in the 10 to 100 kilometer range.
> tholen@ifa.hawaii.edu

Oh please, what happened to the "intrinsically bright" of 1995 that no one could find in early 1996? What happened to the monster that was producing this dust cloud, from a nucleus that no one could locate as they could not agree upon what it looked like? It was HUGE, and that was the explanation for all the outgassing which created, per the story a dust cloud 250,000,000 KILOMETERS ACROSS!!!! Outgassing like that without giving evidence of any comet emissions. Yup.

In article <5gitau$huo@nntp1.u.washington.edu> Lamont Granquist writes:
>> that the comet is much larger than thought so far. In fact,
>> its nucleus is surrounded by a dust cloud that measures more
>> than 2.5 million kilometres across.
>> ESO report
>>
>> NASA PLANS COMET HALE-BOPP OBSERVING
>> CAMPAIGN, ACTIVITIES >Using NASA's Hubble Space
>> Telescope, Hale-Bopp's nucleus was measured at roughly three
>> to four times larger than that of comet Halley
>> NASA announcement
>
> Two very different things. HB is an Oort cloud comet so it
> has lots of fresh gas to blow off. While Hally is three to four
> times smaller and with a larger composition of rock and
> inactive material (since the active material has been used
> everytime it passes the sun).
> lamontg@nospam.washington.edu

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
What! The Hale-Bopp of 1995 was dragging so much stuff from the mythical Oort cloud that it was FRESH! What happened to Brian Marsden's words, that is was "not on its first pass"? If it looked like a fresh newcomer, they how did Brian miss this? And here's another point of contention. Just what WAS it that was forming pin wheels that didn't disburse in 1995, ballooning out around what was supposed to be a comet, with a nucleus no one could find or agree upon, and "chunks" of bright stuff leaving the nucleus, all out there where outgassing is not supposed to happen as it's too far from the Sun. And here's yet another point of contention. Just how could it be falling apart so far from the Sun, and become so stable when drawing near?

We await your explanation with baited breath! Draw up a chair, folks, this should be good!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])