link to Home Page

Re: 12th Planet - any photos ?

Article: <5gicf2$s09@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: 12th Planet - any photos ?
Date: 17 Mar 1997 03:06:10 GMT

In article: <5g9hoc$5rt$2@news.fas.harvard.edu> Trajan McGill writes:
> This is a hyperbolic curve because the comet is at escape
> velocity, so it will never come back. ... In a parabolic comet,
> the difference is that it does not reach escape velocity, and
> therefore, although it takes a long time to slow down, it
> eventually comes back.
> mcgill.removethis.@fas.harvard.edu (Trajan McGill)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Lets analyze the difference between what you term hyperbolic and parabolic, focusing on the differences. You term comets that have a broad nose, make a slight rather than a tight curve, hyperbolic. In drawing the ellipse that you assume such a comet would require in order to act like those short period comet you can observe closely, the ellipse is SO BIG that you can see the Sun's influence greatly diminished. With those comets that have a tight nose in their ellipse, when going around the Sun, the ellipse you draw in your mind has a second focus CLOSE ENOUGH to the Sun for you to imagine the Sun's influence in place.

However, both these comets are experiencing the same drama when outward bound. They have the Sun MORE to their back that any other angle, and according to your laws of gravity, this should and does cause the comet to slow down. While slowing down, what OTHER influence does the comet experience? In the scenarios that your human astronomers teach, the comet on a hyperbolic orbit eventually finds itself, on the long outward bound line that is leading away from the Solar System, that it feels NO tug from the Sun, or MORE tug from some neighbor. It can escape. In this, did it feel no obligation to pull to the side, to complete the curve? This is the explanation given for repeating comets, that there is an uneven slowdown between the forward motion and a pull to the side, to complete the curve.

If this explanation suffices for the repeating comet, in an ellipse, then it should ALSO apply to hyperbolic comets! Human astronomers have the repeating comet slowing in its exit from the Sun, due to the drag of the Sun's gravity at its rear. However, the sideways tug that they ascribe to gravity, due to what is injected as a slight curve that never diminishes to become a straight line as the comet exits, for some reason experiences NONE of this slowdown. It plods along, completing the curve. Now, given that, why would the hyperbolic comet NOT ALSO experience this plodding along, and truck sideways to complete the ellipse, returning to the Solar System?

The Sun's influence is still by far the greatest in the vicinity! The hyperbolic orbit is asserted to have a curve at all times! No matter how long a long period ellipse is asserted to be, the same obligation to complete the sideways curve is asserted. Why then are hyperbolic curves exempted? Please note, in these discussions WE, the Zetas, understand the answer to this puzzle and have even posted this, but we are dismissed with a wave of the hand with the Magical Ellipse explanation thrown out. In order to make our point, we are pressing the readership with the inconsistencies and contradictions that their leaders refuse to address!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])