link to Home Page

Re: TUNGUSKA

Article: <5g95oa$sm7@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: TUNGUSKA
Date: 13 Mar 1997 15:16:26 GMT

In article <5ftesp$gac@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> There were no traditional earthquakes after the blast - the
> ground shaking was caused by the blast itself and by the
> sounds generated by the meteor as it entered the atmosphere
> at hypersonic speeds before it exploded. And there were
> none of your "fore shocks" prior to the blast.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
You're an earthquake expert now? How do you differentiate a "traditional" earthquake from a nontraditional earthquake? Do they come with little tags on? How many types of earthquakes ARE there? We have them differentiated by size, Richter Scale, and depth as it shallow or deep quakes, but NOT by whether they are "traditional" or not. You're dealing with a remote area of frozen tundra, sparsely populated. You don't today capture earthquakes that happen in remote places unless they reach a recording station! Why is it that all the earthquakes that get reported are all over land, unless they are so large that they happen under the seas and roll ONTO land? Do you hear about the 3.5 Richter Scale earthquakes in the mid-Pacific?

You can't VALIDATE your statements that there were no fore-shocks. You can't prove a negative! In fact, most major earthquakes are preceded by minor fore-shocks that happen for days and weeks ahead. Increasing activity that those monitoring earthquake stations use as a signal that a big was is coming. These are almost invariably small earthquakes, the signal being their increasing frequency, NOT their size. As a final point, our statement was that the break, over a broad area of tundra, was caused by twisting and slippage, not jaring. Slippage is a gentler earthquake than head butting, but for a flat frozen permafrost, would create the fracture line that could allow gas to hiss out. Does a plane of glass allow slippage of parts of its surface? ANY movement creates a fracture.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])