link to Home Page

Re: TUNGUSKA

Article: <5g94k2$68a@dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: TUNGUSKA
Date: 13 Mar 1997 14:57:06 GMT

In article
<Forum.858016314.29323.richard.caldwell@OSF25.oklaosf.state.ok.us>
Richard Caldwell writes:
> I agree that it is possible to create an explosion with a cloud
> of gas. US military fuel-air-mix bombs prove it. However,
> those bombs use a gas that is *heavier* than air, so that it
> will descend toward the ground, not rise as methane would.
> Also, those bombs use a gas that burns *much* more rapidly
> than methand, creating the necessary over-pressures to
> generate a respectable explosion.
> Richard Caldwell <richard.caldwell@OSF25.oklaosf.state.ok.us>

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Here you concur that gas explosions can occur, and the compression caused by over-burning gasses can create an explosions in a gas cloud. Certainly anyone who has had a gas leak in a home knows that there is a danger of explosion from leaking natural gas. Your US military gas bomb enhanced the pressure of an over-burn by using a heavy air that would not lift, but THE SAME type of compression can be created by a large enough over-burn. The degree of pressure coming from an over-burn is affected by many factors:

  1. the size of the burning cloud, which translates into the heat of the burn
  2. the rapidity of the burn, which translates into the heat of the burn
  3. the ability of the burn to disburse, which translates into the heat of the burn
  4. the size of the under-burn gas cloud, which translated into the heat of the potential explosion
  5. the rapidity of the under-burn, which translated into the heat of the potential explosion
  6. the ability of the under-burn gasses to disburse, which translates into the heat of the potential explosion.

When you have a large enough cloud, mixed well with oxygen, in the over-burn, and the size of the over-burn prevents ANY of the heat from the center of the over-burn going anywhere but DOWN, and you have the ground under the under-burn gasses, and the under-burn gasses are large and well mixed with oxygen, then you have what YOU have described as a situation that allows for a gas cloud explosion.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])