link to Home Page

Re: Comet H-B question!

Article: <5g94cl$heb@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Comet H-B question!
Date: 13 Mar 1997 14:53:09 GMT

In article <5g2p6g$o5s$1@marina.cinenet.net> Craig Berry writes
>> HB is twice as far away as Mars but looks many times
>> larger. How big is HB really?
>> Lyle Murphy (lyle@MadVax.mo.ti.com)
>
> The solid, central part of a comet is called the 'nucleus', and is
> quite small (relatively speaking) -- only a few km, typically,
> though HB appears to be a few 10s of km. Of course, HB, with
> its unusually large nucleus, would do a very thorough job of
> trashing Earth's biosphere if it hit us.
> cberry@cinenet.net (Craig Berry)

Yes, what ABOUT the purported size of Hale-Bopp. The comet we are seeing NOW certainly does not look like the nova we were being pointed to in 1995! Here's what was said back then, about the size of what we were being told was a comet, just one of the many faces of the Hale-Bopp fraud, as THEN it was a nova.

European Southern Observatory
http://www.eso.org/
The Enormous Size of Comet Hale-Bopp

This series of three photos of the unusual Comet Hale-Bopp demonstrates that the comet is much larger than thought so far. In fact, its nucleus is surrounded by a dust cloud that measures more than 2.5 million kilometres across.
Posted on sci.astro by baalke@kelvin.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke)
PR 10/95 25 August 1995
European Southern Observatory
For immediate release
NEW DISTANT COMET HEADED FOR BRIGHT ENCOUNTER

Why is Comet Hale-Bopp now so bright?

One possible cause for the unusual brightness of Comet Hale-Bopp at its present location, more than 200 million kilometres outside the orbit of Jupiter, is that it possesses a very large nucleus, that is the 'dirty snowball' of dust and ice at the centre of a comet. The larger the diameter of the nucleus, the more sunlight will be reflected from its surface and the brighter will it appear. A corresponding estimate indicates that the diameter of its nucleus would be nearly 100 kilometres, as compared to about 10 kilometres for Comet Halley.