link to Home Page

Re: Orbital Elements for the 12th Planet

Article: <5fmop3$dgo@sjx-ixn7.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Orbital Elements for the 12th Planet
Date: 6 Mar 1997 15:44:35 GMT

In article <5fheb9$ee6@pollux.cmc.ec.gc.ca> Greg Neill writes:
> you claim that after the 12th planet passes the Sun, it
> continues on out to 1/4 the distance between the Sun and
> its supposed dark star companion (where it 'hovers' for
> several years). You also say that this distance is equal
> to 3.560 times the distance of the planet Pluto from the
> Sun. Well, you've also stated that the dark companion
> star is located at 18.724 times the Sun-Pluto distance.
> Last time I checked, 18.724/4 did not equal 3.560 .
> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)

Greg, this particular text that you took out of context described the portion of the 12th's long ellipse where it zooms past the Sun, stops, and then starts the return trip past the Sun for a second pass and going on back to its second focus. The 12th's ellipse does not look like the typical comet, a tiny ball of ice and gravel. This is a big planet, 23 times the mass of Earth and 4 times as large. It's passing through the Solar System in 3 short months. If you think such a weight and speed would have it making a tight circle around the Sun, we'd have the equivalent of skid marks in the sky. (Please note I don't actually think skid marks in the sky would occur, this is to dramatize the scene.)