link to Home Page

Re: BIZZARE WEATHER CHANGES

Article: <5fhkl8$iq5@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: BIZZARE WEATHER CHANGES
Date: 4 Mar 1997 17:03:36 GMT

In article <5fdis4$gdr@pollux.cmc.ec.gc.ca> Greg Neill writes:
>> Ice ages are nothing more than the record left in a crust that
>> shifted TO the polar regions, and then shifted back on a
>> subsequent pole shift. Why does Greenland have so very
>> much ICE, when it is no farther north than Alaska or most
>> of Canada?
>
> Strange, the map I have here places the bulk of Alaska between
> 60 and 70 degrees North Latitude, while the a very great deal
> of Greenland lies above 70 degrees, extending past 80 degrees.
> Also, a very good deal of Canada lies below the 70 degree mark.
> Note that the most heavily populated region of Canada is along
> the strip centered along the 50th parallel. The areas of Canada
> at the same latitude as Greenland have plenty of ice to go around.
> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)

Alaska has permafrost just 18 inches below the surface, and a slowly melting glacier. The latitudes we're talking about here do NOT encourage melting. So the fact that Greenland is covered in solid ice and northern Canada and Alaska are not, is exceptional!

My Britannica states, in the Ice and Ice Formation topic,

"Two great ice masses, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets, stand out in the world today. .. About 99 percent of the world's glacier ice is in these two ice masses, 91 percent in Antarctica alone. The[Greenland] ice sheet is almost 2,400 kilometers (1,500 miles) long in a north-south direction, and its greatest width is 1,100 kilometers (680 miles) at a latitude of 77 degrees N, near its northern margin."