link to Home Page

Re: Tholen Caught DOCTORING Hale-Bopp Images!

Article: <5fhjba$kq7@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Tholen Caught DOCTORING Hale-Bopp Images!
Date: 4 Mar 1997 16:41:14 GMT

In article <5fg3gh$1cu@news.Hawaii.Edu> David Tholen writes:
>> The last three rows all show the same area of sky, but have
>> different intensities of light coming from what is supposed
>> to be the Hale-Bopp thing.
>> saquo@ix.netcom.com
>
> Incorrect; the last row is a zoom on the comet. The preceding
> two rows are the same as row 2, except for the stretch applied.
> tholen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

For the sake of the thoroughly confused, I've included the verbiate and row order from Tholen's web page on Sep 1, 1995 below. There appears to be a row of FITS images[ROW 1], then a composite row [ROW 2], then 5 rows of thumbnails [ROW 3, 4, 5, 6, 7], then a zoom row [ROW 8]. I'm referring to the last 3 rows of thumbnails, ROWs 5, 6, 7. One could always get rid of the headache by going to Tholen's site and seeing what I'm talking about. That's

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/images/hale-bopp/tholen-sep1/hb_ufo_tholen.html

Original FITS frames

Warning: 2Mb each, will not be displayed by a WWW browser. On these images, N is to the right, W is to the top. This orientation is determined by the physical position of the CCD under the telescope.

Red Green Blue

ROW 1: [Red, Green, and Blue FITs file download clicks here]

GIFs and JPGs obtained directly from the original FITS files, click on the thumbnails to down-load the images.

Red Green Blue

ROW 2 [Red, Green, and Blue Sun Bright download clicks here]

Central region, displayed using different thresholds

Red Green Blue

ROW 3-7 [5 ROWS OF THUMBNAILS REPRESENTING DOWNLOADABLE FILES]

Zoom on the comet

Red Green Blue

ROW 8 [Zoom thumbnails]

Color Composite, available on this site since Sep. 1995. The orientation has been normalized to North up, and East left.

[composite images]

All these images are [C]1996, Institute for Astronomy. Permission is granted to reproduce them if credit is given to D.Tholen and R.Wainscoat, IfA.