link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5fd7g9$52t@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 3 Mar 1997 00:54:33 GMT

In article <CO0IeHAMOZFzEwNi@miff.demon.co.uk> Michael Martin-Smith writes:
> Where exactly are planets 10 and 11? They seem to have
> passed most of us by!
> Michael Martin-Smith <martin@miff.demon.co.uk>

A common question, Michael, and I'll answer that with a quote from Sitchen's book, as he's the one who made this term famous.

The 12th Planet pp 260-263 & 178 & 201 Landing on Planet Earth

In February, 1971, the United States launched Pioneer 10. Pioneer 10 scientists attached to it an engraved aluminum plaque. It attempts to tell whoever might find the plaque that Mankind is male and female, etc., and that (Pioneer 10) is from the 3rd planet of this Sun. Our astronomy is geared to the notion that Earth is the 3rd planet, which indeed it is if one begins the count from the center of our system, the Sun. But to someone nearing our solar system from the outside, the 1st planet to be encountered would be Pluto, the 2nd Neptune, the 3rd Uranus, the 4th Saturn, the 5th Jupiter, the 6th Mars .. and the Earth would be 7th.

We know today that beyond the giant planets Jupiter and Saturn lie more major planets, Uranus and Neptune, and a small planet, Pluto. But such knowledge is quiet recent. Uranus was discovered, through the use of improved telescopes, in 1781. Neptune was pinpointed by astronomers (guided by mathmatical calculations) in 1846. It became evident that Neptune was being subjected to unknown gravitational pull, and in 1930 Pluto (was located).

In Assyrian times, the celestial count of a god's planet was often indicated by the appropriate number of symbols placed alongside the god's throne. Thus, a plaque depicting the god (of Saturn) placed 4 star symbols at his throne. Many cylinder seals and other graphic relics depict Mars as the 6th planet. A cylinder seal shows the god associated with Mars seated on a throne under a 6-pointed star. Ample evidence shows that Venus was depicted as an 8 pointed star. Other symbols on the seal show the Sun, much in the same manner we would depict it today; the Moon; and the cross, the symbol of the Planet of Crossing, the 12th Planet.

Charles Virolleaud .. translated a Mesopotamian text (whose) last lines are explicit.

The number of its celestial bodies is twelve
The stations of its celestial bodies twelve
The complete months of the Moon is twelve

The texts leave no doubt - our solar system was made up of 12 members.