link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5f722q$d3o@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 28 Feb 1997 16:45:14 GMT

In article <5f1u7b$19p0@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> 8. What was the observed change that supposedly required
>> JPL to tighten the eccentricity in the Hale-Bopp, so it could
>> move toward an occultation with Gamma Andormedae,
>> last June?
>> Nancy (saquo@ix.netcom.com)
>
> JPL does not change the elements of any object in order to
> move the object toward (or away, for that matter) some
> predicted condition. They will use the observed condition,
> however, in their orbital solution later.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTal[TM])
Along these lines, since we are talking about eccentricity, just WHY would the eccentricity change? This is the abrupt turnaround at the time a comet makes its round about the Sun. The tightness of the loop.

Since you admitted to having NO prior observation of what you were calling Hale-Bopp, why would you decide the eccentricity would change? Can't base this on history? Can't base this on observations? Why did this change so sharply, other than to arrange for the orbit of Hale-Bopp to take a giant step toward occulting Gamma Andromedae at perihelion? The reasons?
(End ZetaTalk[TM])