link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5es9tg$p8p@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 24 Feb 1997 14:51:28 GMT

In article <5eoi6j$j0q@news.Hawaii.Edu> David Tholen writes:
>> Nancy writes:
>>> 1. It was supposedly outgassing at 14 AU, so that McNaught
>>> could find it on this 1993 image. 14 AU. At a distance
>>> where comets DO NOT outgas.
>
>> But how do the mechanisms behind outgassing on
>> Triton and outgassing on comets differ?
>
> At one point, people were talking of a "solid state greenhouse
> effect" as a potential mechanism for the geysers on Triton. ...
> They can easily escape from cometary nuclei, unlike Triton,
> however. So there are some similarities, but also some
> important differences.
> tholen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

That and the fact that the outgassing on Triton was only observed when the probe was on top of it, NOT observed via telescopes on Earth. I repeat, as the ESO said, NO comet has been observed BEFORE PERIHELION outgassing out where Hale-Bopp was claimed to be outgassing so that McNaught could see it on his 1993 plate. The fact that this supposed outgassing ceased as the so-called comet approached the Sun stands as a second glaring reminder that this is not a comet, its a fraud.

2/27/96
http://www.eso.org/outreach/info-events/hale-bopp/hale-bopp-status-jan96.html
Observations of dust

It has now been confirmed that a diffuse image found on a UK Schmidt plate obtained in April 1993 (IAUC 6198, 6202) is indeed of this comet (IAUC 6287). This shows that the dust production must have started already when the comet was at heliocentric distance 13 AU or possibly even before. This appears very unusual, and only a few comets have ever shown activity at this large distance (e.g. P/Halley at 14 AU). However, all such cases occurred after the perihelion passage; in fact, only comet Hale-Bopp has been observed at this large distance before perihelion.