link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5enpt7$6of@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 22 Feb 1997 21:53:43 GMT

This debate has been cross-posted to sci.astro.amateur, sci.astro.planetarium, sci.space.news, and alt.paranormal as CNN did not choose to list sci.astro among the Usenet sites where information on Hale-Bopp could be located. Check

http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword900.htm

for the sci.astro debate thread history.

In article <5elgn5$af6@news.ccit.arizona.edu>
>> 3. this request was to CREATE A DISTRACTION where
>> the populace would focus away from an impending threat,
>> a distraction to be repeated as often as necessary until the
>> government could get their act together regarding the threat.
>
>> 4. the duty bound astronomers, doing their best with this
>> situation, grabbed the next opportunity in a nova situated
>> where the gawking populace would have their BACKS TO
>> THE THREAT.
>
>> 5. working late into the night and using war game tactics,
>> the astromoners PLOTTED AN ORBIT that would dive
>> into a swamp of unmapped stars as the nova faded, and
>> would have such an angle against the Sun upon perihelion
>> that the absense of a tail might be excused.
>
> A "swamp of unmapped stars"? Where? We've mapped the
> whole sky down to around magnitude 20 - almost a million
> times fainter than any stars you can see in the night sky with
> your unaided eyes - there aren't any unmapped 1st or 2nd
> magnitude stars out there to enlist as "fake comets".
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
You lie, in an attempt to dampen this argument before it can get started. You've mapped PORTIONS of the sky to that degree, but other areas are virtually unmapped. In addition, the charts available to the public, for use by amateur astronomers, do NOT contain the full list, else the books would not be able to be carted about in the hip pocket or along with the portable telescope dragged to a hilltop.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])