link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

In article: <5ee4qj$mvl@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 19 Feb 1997 05:58:43 GMT

In article <5ecq8t$12ns@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> ISSUE 3: The supposed fragmentation that the Hale-Bopp
>> fraud was undergoing in late 1995, causing chunks of the
>> nucleus to break off, has now stopped. Is thisthe way
>> fragmenting comets behave? Out past Jupiter they outgas
>> and fragment and when close to the sun, stop this activity?
>> Isn't this backward?
>>
>> ISSUE 4: Why doesn't the supposed fragmented chunk of the
>> nucleus ever separate? In fact, the description of what was
>> supposed to be the Hale-Bopp comet in1995 perfectly fits the
>> description of a nova, with the rapid expansion and then quick
>> fading, the swirling pinwheels and all.
>
> I have yet to see really good evidence of a real fragmentation
> event, though I have seen signs of ejections of knots of debris
> that are probably unbound clumps of debris blown off in some
> event on the nucleus - not uncommon behavior for active comets.
> Any real fragments will slowly separate from the comet and
> may eventually fade from visibility. There are many well
> observed examples of cometary fragmentation, such as with
> comet P/Machholz 2 a couple years ago as well as comet West
> more than 20 years ago amongst many others.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
You're dancing all around this issue, without addressing it! "Unbound clumps of debris"? Where was this debris just before it separated from the so-called comet? Unbound? Did it arrive at the point just outside the Solar System, just waiting to lift and waft off? This is as unlikely as dust on the back of a high speed trail suddenly deciding to waft off in thick masses as the train approached the train station in view of the masses.

Comets to indeed fragment when they have been reduced over time such that the ice holding their parts together weakens under the heat of the Sun, causing a breakup. However, the pattern IN ALL CASES is that the closer the comet gets to the Sun, the more fragmentation occurs. What has been touted for Hale-Bopp is the extreme opposite of that scenario! Fragmentation out where the Sun does NOT warm comets, with all this activity settling down to the point of disappearing as the so-called comet passes the Sun, TWICE! Not only unlikely, Not only unheard of, not even possible!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])