link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5ebbgh$p5i@sjx-ixn7.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 18 Feb 1997 04:34:25 GMT

In article <5e8d6p$g0e@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:

>>> Comet Halley was recovered over 3 years before its last
>>> perihelion passage at well over 10 AU from the sun
>>> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)
>
>> This is disinformation and deliberate disinformation. You
>> KNOW the facts around this, and are OMITTING them,
>> deliberately...
>
> What facts am I omitting - we don't have the time or the
> space to discuss every single observation of comet Halley.
> However, Halley was recovered on October 16, 1982 at Mt.
> Palomar. It was estimated to be magnitude 24.2 and was
> 11.04 AU from the sun at the time of its recovery.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

This is the disinfo, Jim. Its a lie of omission. A simple statement made by the ESO, which you're omitting to include in this discussion. If they knew this, don't YOU? We're comparing Hale-Bopp to Halley and you fail to mention this? Why?

2/27/96
http://www.eso.org/outreach/info-events/hale-bopp/hale-bopp-status-jan96.html
Observations of dust

It has now been confirmed that a diffuse image found on a UK Schmidt plate obtained in April 1993 (IAUC 6198, 6202) is indeed of this comet (IAUC 6287). This shows that the dust production must have started already when the comet was at heliocentric distance 13 AU or possibly even before. This appears very unusual, and only a few comets have ever shown activity at this large distance (e.g. P/Halley at 14 AU). However, all such cases occurred after the perihelion passage; in fact, only comet Hale-Bopp has been observed at this large distance before perihelion.