link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5e7nmt$t7g@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 16 Feb 1997 19:38:05 GMT

In article <5e5hrg$j8c@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> Hale-Bopp is the only claim where outgassing in something
>> that looked remarkably like a nova at that time was
>> supposedly outgassing out past Jupiter BEFORE perihelion.
>
> Comet Halley was recovered over 3 years before its last
> perihelion passage at well over 10 AU from the sun
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

This is disinformation and deliberate disinformation. You KNOW the facts around this, and are OMITTING them, deliberately. On its last pass, Halley was scheduled to be examined by a probe, and was, and prep work would involve making sure of the exact timing of the object the probe was to line up with, before launch of the probe! Peeking at something that is KNOWN to be coming in via high powered equipment, and finding it due to reflected light, is a lot different than locating a comet due to the tail caused by outgassing.

Levy disagrees with you, Jim, and reports that Halley wasn't even outgassing AFTER perihelion, on its last pass. I quote from his book Quest for Comets, page 25,

"In 1986 Halley's comet shredded its cocooning mists so regularly that they were successfully predicted before the spacecraft visited the comet."

And again on page 27,

"As I write Chapter 3 at the end of 1992, Halley's comet is almost as far from the sun as Uranus. Its quiet potato-shaped nucleus, some 15 x 8 x 8 kilometers across, is no longer surrounded by the magnificent coma and tail it brandished like a peacock in 1986."