link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5e58mk$rl4@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 15 Feb 1997 21:09:40 GMT

In article <5e3ld6$8oa@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> This is about the closest thing I've heard you say to an accurate
> statement, but you're still wrong. First, comets DO outgas
> increasingly as they approach the sun, due to the heating
> and vaporization of various volatile ices by the sun. ...
> Even comet Halley showed signs of activity as it passed
> beyond Jupiter's orbit after its last perihelion passage.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

Right, AFTER perihelion. Hale-Bopp is the only claim where outgassing in something that looked remarkably like a nova at that time was supposedly outgassing out past Jupiter BEFORE perihelion.

In article <5e3ld6$8oa@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> The fact that the fraud Hale-Bopp was supposedly visible
>> in 1993 by McNaught, when it was still supposedly outside
>> Jupiter in 1995, should have raised an extreme flag among
>> astronomers to the fact that they were being jerked around
>> and played as fools....
>
> In 1995, Hale-Bopp was only 12.7 AU from the sun - it was
> not all that much fainter than when discovered - certainly above
> the plate limit of McNaught despite its distance, but buried in the
> Milky Way and hard to see due to the density of stars there,
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

And now? It looked like a star THEN, supposedly, and NOW, when its on top of us? It looks like a star! Anyone think this comet smells a bit like a fish gone bad?

>>> A significant chunk that splinters off the nucleus will
>>> follow pretty closely the same orbit of the parent body, and
>>> at pretty much the same speed; they'll parallel each other.
>>> Remember the 'string of pearls' effect of SL9.
>>> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)
>>
>> During a period of time when violent outgassing is supposed
>> to be going on?
>
> As "violent" as it is, once a fragment has left the region of
> the parent nucleus, the forces caused by the outgassing from
> the parent are negligible on the fragment.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

During 1995, the images of what was supposed to be Hale-Bopp showed pinwheels and a vast area of outgassing. This would be like claiming that something could remain stationary in the middle of a tornado! What does it take to move a probe in space off course? A little puff of gas from the jets! Please! If you're going to argue, at least that all the facts into consideration at once!