link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5e24gm$kt6@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 14 Feb 1997 16:39:50 GMT

In article: <5e00pu$hkb@pollux.cmc.ec.gc.ca> Greg Neill writes:
> Nancy (saquo@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>> ISSUE 6: Why would a comet PERTURB AWAY from
>> Jupiter? Isn't this backwards?
>
> 1. What information leads you to believe that a perturbation
> away from Jupiter has occurred?
>
> 2. Another, stronger perturbation (like a closer approach to
> another body) could cause a trajectory change away from
> Jupiter.
>
> 3. Some other force besides gravitation could influence the
> comet, such as rocket effects caused by outgassing. Of course,
> it would have to be a pretty hefty jet to have this kind of
> effect.
> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)

1. The source is the orbital elements given by NASA, JPL and the IAU! In their own words. I won't detail that on this message board, as I have webbed this information and its available at:

http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword900.htm

2. & 3. didn't happen. Are you answering a specific anomaly with speculation? Perhaps it was Santa's elves, etc. Just what is STRONGER THAN JUPITER in that part of the sky?