link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5dvft7$qnh@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 13 Feb 1997 16:35:51 GMT

In article <01bc192e$c11ca040$6e4f22cf@scopedr.connect.ab.ca>
Paul Cambell writes:
> Nancy posted a series of predictions that astronomers made
> a while ago. I'm glad she did and I'm also glad that most of
> the predictions came true. Hale-Bopp is big and bright.
> "Paul Campbell" <scopedr@connect.ab.ca>

Pretty quiet and non-specific for YOU, Paul. Why are you mumbling into your palm? Since you didn't want to get specific, here's some specifics from a fellow Canada resident, posted on their web site in late 1996, and still there. See if you can address the specifics mentioned in this web posting from Canada. I'll post excerpts from that web site as a series so EACH point can be addressed by you as a standalone, giving it the attention it deserves.

ISSUE 5: Hale-Bopp is supposedly a repeating comet, per the IAU. With no prior history of such a comet 3-4,000 years ago, with this supposed visit THE FIRST on record, the IAU sallied forth with this period. Based on what? The obvious reason for jerking the announced orbit all over the place is so that it will line up now and then with a star or star cluster and fool the public into thinking it's looking at a comet (could most folks tell the difference, in the mostly unmapped sky). Comet orbits are either X, Y, or Z, and when a small section of the orbit it taken, X, Y, and X all look the SAME. It's not until it does its turnaround that astronomers say, "ah, it's a hyperbole, a non-repeater" or whatever. Is that not true?

http://www.pe.net/~minnie/shechinah.html

What is the Truth?

The following hypothesis is based upon several months of pouring over numerous documents. Most were found on the WWW and available to all who have access to this medium. There are links within this document to find most of the information. Check it out for yourself.

... Then came the announcement of HaleBopp in mid 1995. ...

I found that there were many things about this comet that were not fitting to well. The "expert", Don Yeomans from JPL, formulates projections of HaleBopp's path through our solar system, based upon observations. These are called "ephemeris'". Period comets do not regularly change their approach and departure, with a very few exceptions. But the tragectory of HaleBopp has changed. And not just once or twice. Mr Yeoman has so far to date FORTY-ONE solutions concerning HaleBopp! First estimates show it passing just under an AU (93 Million miles-the distance from the sun to the Earth) from the sun. With an emphemeris that has changed a number of times, it appears that it may likely be coming more like 20 million miles closer to the sun. In astronomical terms, this can make quite a difference. But I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.

Why would a comet change its orbit? NASA/JPL claims that this comet has a period which has changed from about 4000years to a little over 2000 years. The differences in their projection is again a reflection of the comet's changing orbit. You may recall that Haley's comet appears every seventy-six years, with out fail. So what has happened to HaleBopp that has changed its path?

HaleBopp's orbit (fig 5) is on nearly a ninety degree angle to the ecliptic of our solar system (the "ecliptic" is an imaginary plane that transects the average flat path of the planets). Its approach was from below the ecliptic just beyond Jupiter, then it will descend over the far side of the Sun. During the period of February 28 thru the first week of April, or approximately 40 days, HaleBopp passed about 30 million miles on the far side of Jupiter, crossing upward thru the ecliptic. 40 days because that is the relative time it took to pass through the IMF(Interplanetary Magnetic Field) as influenced by Jupiter's attraction/repulsion. This appears to have changed HaleBopp's tragectory and orientation dramatically.