link to Home Page

Re: Orbital Elements for the 12th Planet

Article: <5dniig$s1d@sjx-ixn7.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Orbital Elements for the 12th Planet
Date: 10 Feb 1997 16:32:16 GMT

In article <5djord$nj3@thrush.sover.net> Gary Wiltshire writes:
>> (Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> Your analogy falters, Gary. Reading it one starts to imagine
>> the orbit of Mars or the Earth, with a pin stuck out there
>> somewhere to the side of the Sun. Is this truly the case?
>> Perhaps you meant to say that all orbits are elliptical, which
>> has a different meaning.
>> (End ZetaTalk[TM])
>
> You obviously don't understand simple geometry, just as you
> don't understand orbits. ALL planetary orbits are ellipses.
> An ellipse has two FOCI (the PLURAL of FOCUS, Madame
> Ignorama). Do you even know what a FOCUS (not "a foci")
> is?
>70523.3077@compuserve.com (Gary A. Wiltshire)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
So quick to quibble about spelling, but unable to ADDRESS THE ISSUE! Not many on this astronomy message board will be fooled by this little diversion attempt, Gary. Are we talking about the second focus that you need in order to DRAW an ellipse, or about the real world? That's spelled R E A L. Please explain just WHAT the second focus of the elliptical orbits of the planets in your Solar System, are, Gary. (This should be good.)
(End ZetaTalk[TM])